Thursday, May 3, 2012

Snacktime!

I've got no good stories today.  Mainly because my mind is so preoccupied with all this HUGE SURPRISE that is about to happen to my family in 7 hours!!!!  Are you dying to know what it is?!?!?  Tomorrow, I promise.  Tomorrow, I will tell.  

I have to confess.  My minis are bored with my food.  Last night's dinner of cold cuts (which I consider processed, but they did only have 3 ingredients and they were organic) on bread with apple salad and cheese slices was the most excited I've seen them over food in weeks.  I am trying not to be bitter about it, but can anyone here understand what I'm talking about?  I can spend hours in the kitchen making a dinner that gets reviews of, "how many bites do I have to have to take?" while slapping some lunchmeat on a slice of bread gets me, "you are the best mommy in the whole wide world".  Minis.  I swear, they'll suck the life out of you.  

So, I am trying to find more recipes to please them.  The other day I made a batch of peanut butter banana oatmeal bread that went over well.  And by went over well, I mean, they ate it.  I got zero rave reviews, however the plates were empty.  At this point, my standard of success is so low, it's practically impossible to lose.  

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bread
  • 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 large mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

1.  Mix together the quick cooking oats, light brown sugar, baking powder, kosher salt and ground cinnamon.
2.  Add in the vanilla extract, milk and egg. Mix the ingredients together.
3.  Then add in the mashed banana and peanut butter. Combine all of the ingredients.
4.  Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch metal baking pan. Bake at 350 F degrees for 20 minutes.  (Check to make sure it is done with a toothpick.  I had to bake for closer to 30 minutes).  
Cut into squares and enjoy!  Slather on some peanut butter.  


This next recipe I am sharing is a great alternative to chips.  My minis (and my Mr.) love chips.  Believe it or not, they would rather have chips and salsa than chocolate and cookies.  Because chips are highly processed food, we haven't had them in 4 months.  Let me rephrase that, we haven't had them at home in 4 months.  Mr. McGhee may be sneaking them at work and washing them down with a Diet Coke, for all I know.  Mr. McGhee, if you are reading this....those sweet ladies that work for you tell me things!!!!  So, put down the Tostitos and come home to some sweet potato chips.   And to make it up to me, buy me this, this, and this for Mother's Day.  I take back what I said about all I want for Mother's Day is for you to help me in the garden all day.  

Lime Sweet potato chips
  • sweet potato, very thinly sliced
  • olive oil
  • sea salt
  • lime juice
1.  Cover a baking sheet with tin foil.  Rub olive oil on the sheet (or spray with cooking spray).

2.  Coat sweet potato slices with olive oil.  Sprinkle with sea salt.  Lay them out on the baking sheet.

3.  Bake at 450F for 8-10 minutes.  Flip over and cook an additional 5 minutes.  Pay close attention to them while baking, they will burn very easily.

4.  Remove from oven and squeeze lime juice over the chips.  Add additional sea salt, if you prefer.

Enjoy!  Very easy and very delish!  In fact, I just enjoyed a bowl of them for lunch!





Enjoy!  I'll be back tomorrow and let you all in on my little secret......