Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Happy Birthday dinner

Last week my middle mini turned 7.  Here is what you need to know about him, my mini is the most amazingly kind, sweet, sensitive, and empathetic kid ever.  I know you're probably rolling your eyes and thinking that every mom says that about every mini.  Not true.  I would never say that about my other two.

I struggled with this birthday a bit because a part of me is afraid that when my middle mini grows up he may outgrow his cuddliness and his desire to curl up on my lap and rub the skin on the back of my arm.  OK, let's all hope he outgrows that someday.

But seriously, my middle mini is a doll.  He loves everybody and everybody loves him.  He has a very kind spirit and is a devoted brother and friend.  He works hard in everything he does.  He prays thoughtfully every night.  He loves baseball, superheroes, the Chicago Cubs, and his puppy.  He tolerates his long shaggy hair because he knows I love it.  And I can't believe it's been 7 years since that 11 lb, 1 oz bundle of joy came into my life.




And here he is today.  Sweet.  Adorable.  Aspires to be a stay at home dad and live in an RV on the beach after he retires from MLB at the age of 26.  He doesn't want to have kids when he's playing for the Cubs because he knows he will miss them too much.  Those words actually came out of my mini's mouth.  Told you he was sweet, kind, and thoughtful.



One thing I love about my middle mini is that he will eat anything.  My other 2 minis are picky, but my middle mini will try anything.  So for his birthday, I wanted to make him something he would love...and what better to make a little boy on his birthday than man-pleasing chicken?

Man-Pleasing Chicken

  • 1 package of chicken thighs (I did a pound of thighs and a pound of breasts)
  • 1/2 cup dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • fresh rosemary
1.  Preheat oven to 450F.
2.  Mix together dijon mustard, syrup, and vinegar.
3.  Put the chicken in a foil lined baking dish.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Pour mustard mix over chicken.  Flip chicken over to coat both sides.
4.  Bake to 165F.  Baste chicken throughout cooking.
5.  Let chicken rest 5 minutes.  Serve with sauce on top and sprinkled with fresh rosemary.


This chicken was simple to make and tasty.  I think my middle mini was pleased.  So perhaps I should rename this recipe the Mini-Pleasing Chicken?

Happy 7th birthday to my middle mini!!!!