Monday, June 4, 2012

Invitation to a BBQ

Last week I walked you through hosting the perfect summer BBQ.  Today I thought it would be fun to give you some ideas on what to bring if someone invites you to their summer BBQ.  Because here's the deal, if you get an invite to someone's house, chances are they have spent a lot of time and money on food, cleaned their house, mowed their lawn, and threatened their minis to be on their best behavior....all so that you can have a great time at their house.  So you best not be showing up with a bag of chips and a jar of salsa.


Last week my sister brought these antipasto kabobs to our BBQ.  Now, my sister always claims to be a terrible cook, but since this is the 3rd recipe of hers I have blogged about, we all know otherwise.  She just likes to use that excuse because she'd rather be shopping than cooking.  And I can totally respect that.


*sidenote* I realized these have processed foods in them.  The McGhee's devoured them anyway.  It would be rude not to.


Sister McGhee's AntiPasto Kabobs

  • 1  9 oz package of Three Cheese Tortellini ,(like Buitoni )cooked to package directions
  • 1 can Medium or Large pitted Black Olives
  • 1 5.75 oz jar Green Olives
  • 2 12 oz containers of marinated mozzarella balls
  • 30 slices of Salami, cut in half (I recommend Boar's Head, or a local organic)
  • 60 pieces of pepperoni (again, Boar's Head, or a local organic)
  • 1 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (store bought or homemade), 

1.  Place the cooked tortellini in a bowl or large gallon freeze bag. Pour the salad dressing over the top and marinade in the fridge for a few hours.
2.  Drain the pasta.
3.  Place each item onto the skewer using the pointy side.
4.  Can be made a few hours ahead and placed in the refrigerator covered.

These babies lasted maybe 5 minutes at our BBQ.  So, make a lot, at least 3-4 per person.  My minis loved them.  




I am not sure if you guys know this, but I am famous.  Seriously, in my circle of friends, I am totally famous for my guacamole.  And I have debated sharing this recipe with you because of several reasons.  1.  My fame will diminish.  2.  I don't actually follow a recipe and I make it a different way each time.  3.  Everyone will see how ridiculously easy it is to make my famous guacamole and I will lose all credibility that I have.  

But, then I realized....you may now know my guacamole recipe.  But you will never be able to outdo me when it comes to guacamole presentation.  



Heids McGhee's Famous (better to be famous than infamous) Guacamole

  • 3 avocados - peeled, pitted, and mashed
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
1.  Mash avocado.  
2.  Add lime, salt, onion, cilantro, tomato and garlic.
3.  Taste.  Add more of what you think is missing.  (I find that popping open a Corona helps with this step).

Now, if you think the skewers and guacamole seem like too much work, then I do have a simpler, less time-consuming idea for you to bring to your friends' BBQ.  This is something you can bring to your friends' fancy schmancy dinner party too.  It's called cheese and fig spread.



Fig Spread is fancy jelly.  Most fancy people love fig spread.  Some unfancy people like myself love it as well.  Go to your grocery store or market and buy several kinds of cheese.  Now, you're going to have to spend some money on the cheese because fig spread does not go well with Cheez Whiz.  I always buy an aged goat cheese, an italian cheese (like an aged parmesan), and a striped monterey jack cheese.  Serve with baguettes.  Be fancy.  But know that the fun people are eating antipasto skewers and guacamole out of a puking Jack O' Lantern.