Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Finally! A recipe we can all agree on!

I kind of can't contain myself today because it's been a while since I've had something I was dying to share with you guys.  But today, I have an autumn recipe that will surely please everyone in your house.  In fact, I believe it was my recipe that sparked this moment last week.....



I believe Barack was saying to Mitt, "can you believe that Heids McGhee put bacon in that salad?"  And then Mitt said, "Brilliant.  Women....they truly are the superior sex."

True story.

I based my autumn salad on this recipe I saw on pinterest last week.  

Heids' McGhee's Autumn Salad

  • 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • poppy seed salad dressing (I used Panera Bread dressing, found at Target)
  • balsamic vinagrette (I used Panera Bread dressing, found at Target)
  • 6-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 3 apples (I used 2 granny smith, 1 honey crisp)
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 lb cooked bacon 
  • 1/4-1/2 cup feta cheese
1.  Put the chicken in a ziploc bag and pour in about 1/3 of a cup of poppy seed dressing and 1/3 a cup of balsamic dressing.  Let marinate 1-2 hours.  Grill until cooked thoroughly.
2.  In a large bowl, combine lettuce, apples, celery, cranberries, pecans, bacon, and feta cheese.  
3.  In a small bowl, mix 2/3 a cup of the poppy seed dressing with 1/3 cup of the balsamic dressing.
4.  Pour the dressing over the salad.  Top with chicken.

Throw all your salad ingredients into a large bowl and drizzle with dressing.




Give it a good mix.



Add your grilled chicken.


This salad is delish.  I loved it.  Mr. McGhee loved it.  Mitt and Barack loved it.  My boy minis loved it.  The only person on God's Earth who did not love this salad is my tiny mini, who apparently does not like salads where the chicken touches the lettuce.



ENJOY!

A little note....yes, I confess, I bought pre-made dressing at the store.  I am certain that there are poppy seed and balsamic dressing recipes out there and I could very well have made my own.  For whatever reason, on that particular day I caved and went for convenience.  If, you do make this salad and you do make your dressings homemade...please let me know what recipes you used.